Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger, two drives

2010-04-29 10:32:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] vchanger, two drives
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:29:54 -0400
On 4/28/2010 6:43 PM, Greg Golin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to configure bacula to use vchanger for offsite backups.
> Basically I'd like to be able to swap USB drives every week and take
> them offsite. The vchanger howto does not state whether I should run
> *label barcodes *for each magazine. Could someone please clarify what
> operations should be performed to configure two drives?

It is treated in the same way as a tape magazine in that respect. Each
magazine (USB drive) has its own unique set of volumes. Therefore you
must first label the volumes in each magazine using label barcodes, else
there won't be any usable volumes in the slots, just "blank tapes".

Once both drives have had their volumes labeled, whenever you swap
drives you will have to issue an update slots command in bconsole to
inform Bacula of which volume is currently "inserted" into each slot.

Also note that when swapping drives it is best to manually update the
status of the last volume written to in each pool from Append to Used.
Otherwise, Bacula will try to select that volume when the next job runs
after the drives have been swapped. That is not a bug, it is by design.
I believe it eventually times out and then selects another volume, but I
have found it makes more sense to mark those volumes Used anyway,
particularly if you use VirtualFull or Migrate jobs.