Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] appending to a "full" tape?

2010-04-27 04:47:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] appending to a "full" tape?
From: "IEM - network operating center (IOhannes m zmoelnig)" <noc AT iem DOT at>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:43:44 +0200
hi all.

i'm running bacula 2.4.4 in a debian/etch environment (i know that it is
a bit outdated; but there is even one debian/sarge host that i cannot
really update...)

bacula is doing a nightly backup ("full" every 3 months or so, "diff"
every week, and "incr" every night) onto an autochanger (Quantum
SuperLoader3, btw)

due to some scsi resets, 2 of my daily pool tapes have been flagged as
"Full" even though they are virtually empty (e.g. 4% fill state).

my tape pool has settled nicely, to use (almost) all tapes in the
changer, and having to add a new tape just because two empty tapes are
flagged as "full" seems to be a waste of ressources.

since the tape in question are part of the "incremental" strategy, i'd
rather not "purge" them.

is there a way to manually force a tape to be "appendable" again?

in "bat" i see that i could change the volum status to anything, even
"Append", but i want to make sure that this is a good idea.

thanks in advance.

--
IEM - network operation center
mailto:noc AT iem DOT at