Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Warning about setting File/Job Retentions in Pool resource!

2010-04-26 14:54:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] Warning about setting File/Job Retentions in Pool resource!
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:52:01 -0700

My, possibly mistaken, understanding of having File/Job Retention
directives in a Pool resource was to be able to deviate from File/Job
Retentions set by the Client resource AND to confine those retentions to
the Pool where they are specified.

What actually happens is that when using the Pool where the File/Job
Retentions are specified, the retentions will apply to any File/Job's
that were written to another Pool, overriding the Client resource.

Real life example:

The Job Retention for all my clients defaults to 1 year and I have
monthly full Pools that I keep for a year.  I also have an
incremental/differential pool that I recycle on a 60-90 day basis.

When I set the File/Job Retention to 90 days for my
incremental/differential Pool and ran a complete set of incrementals,
the 90 day retention was then applied to all of those jobs, not just for
the incremental/differential Pool where the 90 day period was set, but
for all of my monthly full Pools as well!  This effectively purged 9
months of my Catalog records.  :(

Yes, I had a backup of the Catalog and yet it took 12 hours to restore.

But, please note that it can be dangerous to use File/Job retentions in
a Pool resource.

thanks,
Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760