Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full and Incremental backup to different location

2010-04-21 12:42:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full and Incremental backup to different location
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:40:03 -0400
On 04/21/10 09:00, Sorix wrote:

> Hello.
> I've tried to use such backup scheme:
>
> - Full backups => Tape device
> - Incremental backups => HDD
>
> But always when i'm trying to start incremental job backups after doing full,
> i'm getting:
>
>> No prior Full backup Job record found.
>> No prior or suitable Full backup found in catalog. Doing FULL backup.

This is because, to put it briefly, You're Doing It Wrong.

> Here is defaults for my jobs:
> JobDefs &#123;
> &nbsp; Name = "Windows Full"
> &nbsp; Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
> &nbsp; Storage = Autochanger
> &nbsp; Messages = Standard
> &nbsp; Priority = 10
> &nbsp; Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/%c.bsr"
> &nbsp; Type = Backup
> &nbsp; Level = Full
> &nbsp; FileSet= "Windows 2008"
> &nbsp; Pool = Default
> &#125;
>
> JobDefs &#123;
> &nbsp; Name = "Windows Incremental"
> &nbsp; Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
> &nbsp; Storage = File
> &nbsp; Messages = Standard
> &nbsp; Priority = 10
> &nbsp; Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/%c.bsr"
> &nbsp; Type = Backup
> &nbsp; Level = Incremental
> &nbsp; FileSet= "Windows 2008"
> &nbsp; Pool = Default
> &#125;
>
> Job &#123;
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Name = "mail4srv-full"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; JobDefs = "Windows Full"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Client = "mail4srv-fd"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Enabled = no
> &#125;
>
> Job &#123;
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Name = "mail4srv-inc"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; JobDefs = "Windows Incremental"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Client = "mail4srv-fd"
> &nbsp; &nbsp; Enabled = no
> &#125;
>

> So i'm using different job names, but shared FileSet and Pool.

And this is precisely your problem.  When you try to do an incremental
backup of job mail4srv-inc, Bacula is quite correctly telling you that
no Full backup of that job exists.  You have two different jobs for the
same Fileset on the same Client, you have all the constant information
in the Jobs and the variable information in the JobDefs, you apparently
have two different Media types on two different Storage devices in the
same Pool ... not to put too fine a point on it, you have *completely*
misunderstood how Bacula works.

Honestly, my best recommendation to you at this point would be to read
at least the "Getting Started" section of the manual again, then scrap
your configuration and start over on a clean sheet of paper.  I suspect
I would be doing you a disservice by just saying "Try this fixed example
instead", because if I do that, you still won't understand why any of it
works.

When you start over, remember the following CRUCIAL points:

- Use one Job per client, UNLESS you're splitting up individual Clients
into multiple Filesets backed up on different schedules.  Because it is
possible to have multiple Jobs backing up different things on the same
Client, Bacula tracks backup history by the Job, NOT by the Client.
- Put the FIXED information in the JobDef resource, and the VARIABLE
information in the Job resource.  Putting the variable information in
the JobDefs resource completely defeats the purpose of JobDefs.
- Use your Schedule to run each client's Job at different levels.
- Create different Pools for different Storage devices, unless the two
devices can share media back and forth between them.  Don't mix media
types in the same Pool and expect Bacula to be able to figure out which
type you meant.
- If you're using multiple Storage devices for different levels, specify
the level-specific Pools for each level in your JobDefs, and let Bacula
figure out which Storage to use.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.