Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula 5 - Media management

2010-04-19 15:40:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula 5 - Media management
From: Lamp Zy <lampzy AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:37:47 -0700
Hi all,

I'm running Bacula 5.0.1 on CentOS5.4 with Overland tape library (this
setup went with very little customization and I'm very pleased but I'll
write another email when all set and done with all hardware details and
install roadmap and hopefully it will help somebody).

I need some help with media management.

I setup a pool called FullTapes. Full type backup jobs can write only on
tapes in the FullTapes pool.

---<snip>---
Pool {
   Name = FullTapes
   Pool Type = Backup
   File Retention = 1 years
   Job Retention = 1 years

   Volume Retention = 2 days
   AutoPrune = yes
   Recycle = yes
   RecyclePool = Scratch
}
---<snip>---

I have one tape in the library that is in pool FullTapes and is marked
"Full" and it's Volume Retention period expired. Also I have a hundred
tapes offsite. Most of them are in pool FullTapes and are marked "Full"
with expired Retention period.

What I'm expecting is next time a full backup job runs to look into all
tapes in FullTapes pool and mark the ones that expired as Purged and
moved them in pool Scratch. Then recycle the one that is in the library
and use it for the currently running job.

What happened is that the backup job ran, found the tape in the library
and recycle it but it didn't touch any of the other tapes in pool FullTapes.

Now I want to put more tapes in the library that can be recycled but I
don't know which ones out of the hundred I have off site because my
Scratch pool is empty. I have to manually get the details for each tape,
find the "lastwritten" date and apply the RetentionPeriod to find out if
this tape can be recycled.

Did I miss something in the configuration that prevents me to get the
expected behavior? Is there a command that will look into all tapes,
purge the ones that expired and move them in Scratch?

If not, then what do you guys do in this case? If you know you'll need
more tapes for your weekend full backups how do you find out which can
be recycled so you can put them in the library?

Thanks
Peter