Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TR: Getting auto-label feature to work properly

2010-04-13 04:50:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TR: Getting auto-label feature to work properly
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Dominique Jeannerod <dominique.jeannerod AT interact-iv DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:46:30 +0800
On 13/04/10 16:29, Dominique Jeannerod wrote:
> Thanks a lot Craig, for your answer.
> I didn't configure a "maximum volumes" directive, so what I was expecting
> Bacula to do is :
> - Auto-Recycle a volume if possible, regarding retention periods.
> - Automatically create a new one with auto-label feature
>
> I there an implicit maximum volumes limit ?

You know, I don't think I've ever tried using a pool without an explicit
max volumes. As far as I know there's no built-in limit.

The documentation:

http://www.bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

suggests that your pool definitions:

> Pool {
>         Name = PS_Default
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         VolumeRetention = 3 days
>         Use Volume Once = yes
>         Label Format = "SYS-SD-FR-2-${C_SYS+}"
>         NextPool = PS_VFull
> }
>
> Pool {
>         Name = PS_VFull
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         VolumeRetention = 3 days
>         Use Volume Once = yes
>         Label Format = "SYS-VFULL-SD-FR-2-${C_SYSVFULL+}"
>         Storage = fr-201-sd-vfull
> }

... should result in proper recycling.

Is the problem with a migration job? Or a regular backup job?

What does "list volumes" show?

( This sort of thing is why I *REALLY* wish Bacula would say *why* it
wanted a volume mount when it's using an auto-label pool. It's like
going next door and saying "er, can I borrow a bucket?" when what you
want to be saying is "help, help, my house is on fire!" )

--
Craig Ringer