Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: backup.c:892 Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer

2010-04-12 17:02:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fatal error: backup.c:892 Network send error to SD. ERR=Connection reset by peer
From: Jon Schewe <jpschewe AT mtu DOT net>
To: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:59:49 -0500
On 4/12/10 9:40 AM, Matija Nalis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 09:23:51AM -0500, Jon Schewe wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/10 9:00 AM, Matija Nalis wrote:
>>
>>> Good, let us know how it fares.
>>>

>> It seems to be running, but I've run into a problem with bconsole. Once
>> I started the job, if I run bconsole and then "status dir", the console
>> hangs. If I strace the bconsole process it's stuck in a select call.
>>

>>> strace -p 18452
>>>
>> Process 18452 attached - interrupt to quit
>> select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, {9, 461287}) = 0 (Timeout)
>> read(3, 0x655d80, 5)                    = -1 EAGAIN (Resource
>> temporarily unavailable)
>>
> That should not be related to SO_KEEPALIVE - it should be completly
> transparent to the applications if the network is working (and even
> when it is not working, it should differ only in always terminating
> the connection instead of sometimes terminating connection and
> sometimes hanging idefinitely).
>
> Anyway, it may be few issues with directory hanging. Most common is
> you are too eager. For example, is SQL server is busy, "status dir"
> will hang until it completes.
>

> It is especially problem with bigger databases and MySQL instead of
> PostgreSQL, see http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1472, where it can
> take even several hours! (note that while it talks about "restore"
> speed, it is also related to accurate backups which employ similar
> SQL queries)

Must be what it is then. I've been thinking about switching to postgres,
but haven't because the opensuse packages for bacula are only for mysql.
This may motivate me more.

The backup finished, so it seems that in version 3.0.3 bacula does NOT
set the socket option SO_KEEPALIVE.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital