Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Signal 11: Segmentation violation - Bacula 5.0.1

2010-04-10 08:57:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Signal 11: Segmentation violation - Bacula 5.0.1
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Rodrigo Fernandes <rodrigoefer AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:52:49 +0800
Rodrigo Fernandes wrote:
> Good morning. I'm having trouble with bacula-5.0.1 installed via tar.gz.

from sources?

ie you ran "./configure; make; sudo make install" or the like to install
Bacula?

What OS are you running on? what version of that OS? what kernel version?

Please post the output of the

   lsb_release -a

command and the "uname -a" command.

It'd also be good to know what kind of computer Bacula is running on. In
particular - good quality server, or the usual stuff you get a backup
budget for, ie a cast-off desktop machine with a pile of old hard drives
tossed in :S

> I have a backup job it takes over 4 hours to complete, however, I
> receive the message *"bacula-dir: Bacula interrupted by signal 11:
> Segmentation violation"* and bacula-dir stops working. Has anyone
> experienced this problem?

That's a bacula director crash. It is possible to obtain more diagnostic
information if this crash occurs reliably.

It would be helpful if you could install "gdb" (the GNU Debugger) from
your os's packages, if you don't already have it. On Debian/ubuntu, for
example, "apt-get install gdb libc6-debug".

Once  gdb is installed, start bacula-dir as normal. Once it's started, run:

  sudo gdb -p $(pgrep bacula-dir)

You'll find yourself at a prompt like this:

  0x001e1422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
  (gdb)

... though the numbers will vary. At this prompt, type:

   cont

and press enter. Bacula-dir will now resume working like normal.

Run your backup.

When bacula-dir crashes, instead of simply exiting it'll pause execution
and return control to gdb. The gdb prompt will appear again with a
message like:

0x080483e4 in main () at crashme.c:3
3           int y = *x;
(gdb)

... though the exact text of the two middle lines will be different.

You can now ask gdb what bacula was doing by typing into gdb at the
(gdb) prompt:

    bt

then pressing enter. Paste the full output including the bit starting at
"Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault" into a reply to
this email.

That, plus the information requested above, should provide some
information on what Bacula was up to when it crashed.

--
Craig Ringer