Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Possibility of parallelising encryption?

2010-04-08 09:59:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Possibility of parallelising encryption?
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 09:56:27 -0400
On 04/08/10 09:34, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 8/04/2010 8:03 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> On 04/08/10 02:16, Craig Ringer wrote:
>>
>>> Bacula should probably work with Intel's hardware crypto out of the box.
>>> If it doesn't, most likely all that'd be required would be to call:
>>>
>>>           ENGINE_load_builtin_engines();
>>>           ENGINE_register_all_complete();
>>>

>> Sounds like a good idea to me.  Want to write up a patch?
>>
> I will, at that. I even have some Via C3 machines to test it on, though
> they're thin clients so I'll need to take one out of service for a bit
> and chuck a disk in it.

I've tried the above (loading and registering engines, specifically
selecting various hardware engines) twice in the past and did not come
up with anything useful.  Bacula would crash after the first write to a
EVP cipher context that was using an engine other than the default
software one.  I can dig up some more details if you like.  Perhaps it
was something specific to FreeBSD, though.

Nonetheless, I would be glad to test any patches you come up with.  I
have a handful of different HW crypto cards at my disposal including Via
C3, Hifn cards, and Broadcom cards.  Unfortunately, I should note, none
of them produce speeds comparable to a modern CPU, especially when
operations are performed with small blocksizes - however, they are still
useful for offloading the crypto load and freeing up the CPU.