Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-04-07 23:16:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:14:03 +1200
Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> Most practical disk backup setups will involve large RAID-5, RAID-6 or
>> RAID-10 arrays. These tend to be striped across the spindles anyway, and
>> the file system is rarely properly aware of how this striping occurs.
>
> *nod*  Indeed.  Nor should it care, since for general purposes, it
> shouldn't matter.  It's not the filesystem's problem - except of course
> in advanced filesystems like ZFS where the filesystem IS the RAID
> implementation.

It can be of significant  impact on write, as the FS can coalesce writes
into stripe sized pieces, minimising read-modify-write cycle.

XFS certainly and EXT4 I think, are software md RAID aware and will
optimised FS creation based on number of drives and RAID level.

In the case of hardware raid or stacked md, it is certainly worth
working out the appropriate switch settings manually when creating the FS.

Regards,

Richard