Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-04-07 18:54:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:52:07 -0600
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
wrote:
> After having thought about this a bit, I believe the idea has
> significant merit.  Tape and disk differ significantly enough that there
> is no conceptual reason not to have separate tape-specific and
> disk-specific SDs.  So long as the storage logically looks the same from
> the point of view of other daemons, the other daemons don't need to know
> that the underlying storage architecture is different.  Creating a
> hierarchical disk SD in this fashion that appears to the rest of Bacula
> exactly the same as the existing FD does, and yet takes advantage of the
> features offered by such an implementation, will not necessarily be a
> trivial problem.  It's a pretty major project and, if approved, wouldn't
> happen right away.
>
> The major problem I see at the moment, architecturally speaking, is that
> at the present time, this would break both migration and copy jobs
> between volumes on the new disk-only SD and volumes of any kind on the
> traditional SD, because Bacula does not yet support copy or migration
> between different SDs.  At this time, both source and destination
> devices are required to be on the same SD.

I didn't think about the copy/migration jobs (I'm using them), and
that would be a problem. It seems for this to take off, the
copy/migration between SDs will have to be implemented. We would have
to look at the stream as a copy/migration is happening, i believe that
the record blocks are being rewritten with a new jobid and time, so it
seems that the data is already being reconstructed an rewritten. The
disk SD would have the provide the same stream from the hierarchical
file system and be able to take the reconstructed stream and build a
hierarchical file system from it. The question I have is what is the
barrier for implementing inter-sd copy/migration jobs?

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University