Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] client rejected Hello command (SOLVED)

2010-04-07 20:31:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] client rejected Hello command (SOLVED)
From: Roland Roberts <roland AT astrofoto DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:28:56 -0400
On 4/7/2010 10:40 AM, Matija Nalis wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 05:52:54PM -0400, Roland Roberts wrote:
>
>> When the client is run in the foreground in verbose mode, I get this from
>> the client:
>>
>> archos-fd: cram-md5.c:73-0 send: auth cram-md5
>> <1018903137.1269886223@archos-fd>   ssl=0
>> archos-fd: cram-md5.c:152-0 sending resp to challenge:
>> a9/LnX1KKQ/Gj6+qd++t1B
>>
> that is strange. Looking at the code, if you get this far, one of the
> 3 things should happen:
>
> a) timeout or socket error, in which case it would have printed
>     "Receive chanllenge response failed. ERR=%s", or
>
> b) authorization succeeds (it receives "1000 OK auth") in which case
>     nothing is printed and cram_md5_respond returns true, or
>
> c) authorization fails, and "Received bad response: %s" is printed
>
> As nothing is printed, one could only assume the authorization
> succeeded, but things stopped somewhere afterwards.
>
> Can you raise debug level (say, -d200) on both the director and FD
> (and maybe even on SD, just in case) and send output of that ?

Okay, problem solved. It turns out the upgrade was broken. When the
director is installed, the RPM is supposed to set up a link from
/usr/sbin/bacula-dir to /etc/alternatives/bacula-dir which in turns
points to the real directory (in my case, the postgres version).
However, the upgrade had left an old binary in place. That shouldn't
have worked, but somehow I also still had links from libssl.so.6 and
libcrypto.so.6 that pointed to the current versions of those shared
libs. This meant bacula-dir would start, but the eventual effect was
what I described before. This was not corrected even though I had tried
"yum reinstall" for all of the bacula packages.  It was only when
started looking for things that didn't correspond to any package that I
found the extra binary.

I removed it and then did a yum reinstall on the bacula packages and now
the director works (well, after upgrading the database and fixing some
things in bacula-dir.conf that no longer work).

Thank you for the above suggestions. Telling me what to expect from the
auth was actually important in making me think about the ssl/crypto
libraries because there had been an upgrade error with those that I had
forgotten about/ignored when everything initially ran. That was just
plain stupid on my part and I should have thought of it long ago.

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland AT rlenter DOT com                            6818 Madeline Court