Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention Policy Pruning Files?

2010-04-07 15:57:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention Policy Pruning Files?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:55:38 +0100

> Whenever I archive files, I always put them in an 'Archive' pool I created
>   After only about a week or two, I am no longer able to restore because I
> get the following message:
>
> You have selected the following JobId: 686
>
> Building directory tree for JobId(s) 686 ...
>
> For one or more of the JobIds selected, no files were found,
> so file selection is not possible.
> Most likely your retention policy pruned the files.
>
> Do you want to restore all the files? (yes|no):
>
> Can sombody take a look at my bacula-dir.conf file and see why this is
> happening?
>
> All Archive jobs have different filesets, but go into the pool 'Archive'.
> I've set a retention period of 30 years, job retention of 30 years, Recycle
>  = no, Auto Prune = no and Volume retention of 30  years, but the files
>  seem to be still getting pruned.

I think the problem is that the client definition contains:

>   File Retention = 30 days  # 30 days
>   AutoPrune = yes           # Prune expired Jobs/Files

This causes it to prune the file records of *all* jobs for that client
whenever it prunes *any* job for that client.

Assuming you need that file retention for other jobs on the client, you can
work around the problem by adding a separate client definition for use by the
archive jobs, with the same Address pararmeter as the normal one.

__Martin