Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula for disk drives Help

2010-04-03 18:49:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula for disk drives Help
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:46:25 -0400
> Can someone point me out to with some examples of Bacula that DO NOT use tape
> drive as storage?

Tape and disk are handled pretty much the same with the main exception
being that you need to use one of the following commands in your pool
definition to limit the disk volume from growing to the size of the
disk:

Use Volume Once = yes
Volume Use Duration = ttt
Maximum Volume Jobs = nnn
Maximum Volume Bytes = mmm

See the doc here for the reason:
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

> I tried already to set this up and have failed many times.  I have bacula
> director running and bacula-fd and  bacula-sd and tried to configure the
> storage to run the default jobs, but they always fail and the GUI crashes on
> windows.

I assume you are talking about wxconsole. That is known to crash from
time to time. I have not used that in years. I just use bconsole
mostly from a ssh window. On newer versions of bacula there is a qt
application called bat. I am not sure if that has been compiled for
windows yet.

> I tried the sample files that have a job and task, which almost seems to
>work... it looks like the job is running but when I check the status by
>looking at the mount I get:
>

> Connecting to Storage daemon File at BackupServer:9103
>
> BackupServer-sd Version: 2.4.4 (28 December 2008) x86_64-pc-linux-gnu debian
> squeeze/sid
> Daemon started 02-Apr-10 18:32, 0 Jobs run since started.

I recommend that you update your server. 2.4.4 is old.

>  Heap: heap=323,584 smbytes=152,472 max_bytes=152,666 bufs=88 max_bufs=90
> Sizes: boffset_t=8 size_t=8 int32_t=4 int64_t=8
>
> Running Jobs:
> Writing: Full Backup job Test.2010-04-02_18 JobId=39 Volume="FullTest0001"
>    pool="FullTest" device="FileStorage" (/bacula)
>    spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
>    Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
>    FDReadSeqNo=6 in_msg=6 out_msg=4 fd=6
> ====
>
> Jobs waiting to reserve a drive:
> ====
>
> Terminated Jobs:
> ====
>
> Device status:
> Device "FileStorage" (/bacula) is not open.
>    Device is BLOCKED waiting for mount of volume "FullTest0001",
>       Pool:        FullTest
>       Media type:  File
> ====

Did you reinstall or something? The error says it wants to mount a
volume but for disk based volumes that should be available especially
because you have autolabel on. Does there exist a file in the bacula
storage for that?

> Used Volume status:
> ====
>
> ====
>

> This is my bacula-sd:
> Device {
>  Name = FileStorage
>  Media Type = File
>  Archive Device = /bacula
>  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>  Random Access = Yes;
>  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>  RemovableMedia = no;
>  AlwaysOpen = yes;
>  Device Type = File
> }
>

> Here is the Job:
> Job {
>        Name = "Test"
>        Enabled = no
>        Client = BackupServer-fd
>        FileSet = "FileSetTest"
>        Schedule = "ScheduleTest"
>        Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/Test.bsr"
>        Full Backup Pool = FullTest
>        Incremental Backup Pool = IncrTest
>        Differential Backup Pool = DiffTest
>        Storage = File
>        Type = Backup
>        Level = Incremental
>        Pool = Default
>        Priority = 10
>        Messages = Standard
> }
>
> The /bacula directory is 777 just to test it out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post your entire bacula-dir.conf

John