Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restores not working

2010-03-24 18:39:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restores not working
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Matija Nalis" <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>, "Alan Brown" <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:36:58 +1100

> We've used Legato networker before (we still do, as we're not yet
> successfully completed the migration; and it's looking more and more
> grim prospect by the day), and on approximately the same dataset (of
> about 500 million records spread over 100 servers) and somewhat
> weaker hardware, it would allow user to start selecting files to
> restore in matter of *seconds* (and it was using it's simple db6
> files, no server/database tuning required at all)
>
> Now with bacula 5.0.1, we have to wait several *hours* before we can
> start selecting files to restore, and it is considered "normal" ?!

I've always thought that Bacula could do this a bit better. If you are
selecting files rather than restoring everything then the chances are
you only want a small subset of all files (always exceptions of course),
so why read the whole tree in at once? Why not read it in as required,
or read it in 'layer by layer' in the background so the user can start
selecting files immediately.

Complexity is probably the reason why it hasn't been done, but it would
be an interesting project.

James