Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restores not working

2010-03-23 10:35:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restores not working
From: Matija Nalis <mnalis+bacula AT CARNet DOT hr>
To: "Jonathan R. Dundas" <jonathan.dundas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:31:37 +0100
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:25:38PM -0500, Jonathan R. Dundas wrote:
> I have a RHEL 5 x86_64 patched-current install with bacula RPM's built
> from the sourceforge src RPMs.  I'm running MySQL community edition
> 5.1.43-1 mysql.com RPMs.  I have updated bacula and tried this same
> operation with bacula 5.0.0, 5.0.1 and 5.0.2.  When I try to restore a
> backup, bconsole appears to hang here:
>
> [...]
>
> You have selected the following JobIds: 8518,8529,8550,8571,8593,8613
> Building directory tree for JobId(s) 8518,8529,8550,8571,8593,8613 ...
>
> and it stays there, never completing.
> The MySQL database seems hung on this query:

It is probably not hung, but just very, very slow. We've had a same
issue, with about 500 million records in File (and about 120GB on
disk for File.ibd) on (mostly dedicated to mysql) machine (8gig RAM,
8x2.33 Xeon, different configurations with about 3-6GB for mysql
buffers) -- it could take several hours for 5.0.1 until it completed
and the system was ready for selecting few files to restore. :-(

We switched from MyISAM to InnoDB, it didn't help. Greatly reducing
the retention times did help (as it made mysql dataset much smaller).

see there bacula wiki on http://tinyurl.com/yg37ujf or
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq#restore_takes_a_long_time_to_retrieve_sql_results_from_catalog

for more info.

And let the list and/or wiki know if you manage to fix it, please !

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.