Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dir/SD on Mac or Windows?

2010-03-24 07:09:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dir/SD on Mac or Windows?
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:06:30 +0000
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Bruce McCarthy wrote:

> Basically I would like to get the "server-side" apps (Director & Storage
> Daemon) running on either Windows or Mac OS X. There are binaries available
> for Windows up to 3.0.2 but everything I've read leads me to shy away from
> this unsupported implementation.
>
> On the Mac side, bacula.org recommends Fink. Their latest package is at 2.x.
> DarwinPorts has a package for 3.0.3, and MacPorts has one with version
> 5.0.0.

This is a pretty common situation.  For the sake of argument, if you were
to use a linux distribution such as Ubuntu Hardy, you'd be getting 2.2.8.
If you chose ubuntu Karmic (the latest) you'd get 2.4.4.  Debian Lenny is
2.4 also.

Personally, I don't get that hung up on being at the very major release --
though I do try to be on the latest bug-fixed minor release.  We needed to
have Win64 support with VSS, so I compiled debian packages for 3.0.2 and
our windows clients are all v3.0.3a.  At some point we'll move to v5, but
I'm not that much of a rush.  Hopefully Ubuntu/Debian will catch up with
our needs shortly (debian squeeze and ubuntu lucid both have v5) so
hopefully I'll be able to delegate the Bacula compilation back to the
package archive shortly and let them maintain testing, security fixes, etc.
It may mean we're a little late getting v5.1 or v6, but that's okay.

Gavin