Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VMware vSphere support with VADP

2010-03-18 12:54:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VMware vSphere support with VADP
From: "Arthur Emerson III" <emerson AT msmc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:34:37 -0400 (EDT)
Craig Holyoak <cholyoak AT redlands.qld.edu DOT au> wrote:

> Given VMware's recent announcement to end support for
> VCB in favour of the new vStorage APIs (specifically,
> VADP), does anyone have any plans for integrating Bacula
> with these APIs? Integration could either be a drop in
> replacement program to do the same work as vcbMounter,
> or even a new FD plugin, giving native support from
> within Bacula.

Native VMware ESX backup support in Bacula has never
been attempted that I have ever seen.  I only subscribe
to digests on this list, but was expecting a huge
discussion the day that VMware sent out their scary
notification e-mail about deprecating VCB.  Maybe I missed
something, because it has been weeks and yours is the first
mention that I've seen.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how this can be
done within the current Bacula architecture.  Where do
you run the File Daemon?  Not everyone has a Windows-based
vSphere management server.  For that matter, ESXi users
don't even have a Linux-based ESX service console to run
the FD in if I recall correctly!  This is the point where
my head starts hurting, even though I'd love to see native
Bacula support for raw virtual disk backups/restores for
VMware VM's.

> I'd welcome any ideas or feedback,

The only feedback that I can offer is that I would
also like to see Bacula do native VMware backups...if
it makes sense.  Given the lack of uproar from the
VMware e-mail, demand for this support may be limited
to just a few of us.  (Even smaller group than for the
Exchange plugin?)  Unfortunately, I do not have any
funding, programming resources, or skills to throw at
such an endeavor.....

-Arthur

 Arthur Emerson III                 Email:      emerson AT msmc DOT edu
 Network Administrator              InterNIC:   AE81
 Mount Saint Mary College           MaBell:     (845) 561-0800 Ext. 3109
 330 Powell Ave.                    Fax:        (845) 562-6762
 Newburgh, NY  12550                SneakerNet: Aquinas Hall Room 60