Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem copying jobs

2010-03-06 16:15:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem copying jobs
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 22:12:20 +0100
Hi,

06.03.2010 18:46, Peter Allgeyer wrote:
> Hi Arno!
>
> Am Samstag, den 06.03.2010, 14:00 +0100 schrieb Arno Lehmann:
>
>> I'm guessing that you're running an USB or (less likely, but still
>> possible) FireWire external disk. If that's the case, you probably
>> struck a bad USB-to-(S)ATA controller.
>
> Harddisk is FC attached.

Hmm. That should never cause any such errors, which seems to point at
a higher level as the cause of this problem. Makes me think that even
Bacula itself might be the cause.

>> If you see this with internal hard disk, I'd recommend to check for
>> bad disk blocks, and check the drive's SMART status using smartctl.
>
> Will check the drive. Haven't had any such problems when I set "Maximum
> Volume Files = 1". But this prevents parallel jobs. Don't know, if the
> upgrade to 5.0.1 is the cause, but think it's unlikely, because I've
> read about the same error in old mails.

I doubt that it's related to 5.0.1 - I've myself seen this error with
versions as early as somewhere between 3.0.3 and 3.1.x (when I started
using external hard disks). I know of those problems longer, though -
and, as far as I can tell, it only happens with FireWire or USB disks.
I would consider FC (or rather, the software stack built upon it) more
like classical SCSI, i.e. much more robust than the whole USB/FW
stuff, so I'm astonished seeing it happen with FC connected disks.

Unfortunately, I don't know if you'll be able to learn anything useful
from smartctl or badblocks if you're running more than a single FC
disk... anything in a managed storage system should behave error-free
to the outside, and do all error handling and -correction internally.

Good luck analyzing anyway, and if you find reasons to believe this is
really Bacula-related I'd be glad to see the bug report and eventual
fix :-)

Cheers,

Arno

--