Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent backup to multiple disk volumes

2010-03-01 14:48:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent backup to multiple disk volumes
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:45:30 -0500
On 3/1/2010 1:24 PM, Stan Meier wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just noticed that (for disk backups) by
>
> 1. (director) specifying multiple "Device = " lines in the "Storage" section
> that
>     is referenced by a given (single!) Pool and
> 2. (storage daemon) setting "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1" per device
>
> Bacula does perform a true parallel backup - writing at most one job
> at the same time to a volume, using as many (disk) volumes as there
> are devices available.
>
> First, is that working as intended, and second, does that eliminate
> the need for virtual disk changers and data spooling for disk backups?

Back on 2009-09-27 Kern mentioned on the bacula-devel list that this was
possible, but left undocumented because it is not ready for production
use. I haven't noticed it being mentioned in the "New Features in x"
sections of the docs, so I assume that is still the case, and it is a
"use at your own risk" sort of feature.