Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula version 5.0.1 released to Source Forge

2010-02-25 10:14:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula version 5.0.1 released to Source Forge
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:33:53 +0100
Hello,

Bacula version 5.0.1 source code and Windows (32/64 bit) binaries have been
released to Source Forge (thanks Eric).

This is a major bug fix release including a few directives that have been
rewritten, one new directive, and some different directive behavior (see the
release notes below).  As is usual for a patch release (last digit changes by
one), this version is compatible with the 5.0.0 database and with prior
clients.  However, you *must* upgrade all components that are on any one
machine (that is you must upgrade your Director, Storage daemon, and File
daemon at the same time, if they reside on the same machine).

Note, Bacula does not normally uninstall previous versions, and we have
changed the shared object naming convention, so you might want to first save
your configuration files then uninstall the old Bacula using the old Bacula
uninstall prior to installing the new one.  If you do not, it should not be
serious, but you may be left with some older Bacula shared objects that are
not used and hence wasting a small amount of disk space.

If you are upgrading from version 3.0.x or prior, please see the full release
notes as you must do a database upgrade.  When updating from 5.0.0 to this
release there is no database upgrade needed.

Scott has made a number of changes and improvements in the rpm packaging over
the past few weeks since version 5.0.0 was released, so he will probably be
releasing the 5.0.1 rpms quite soon.

Thanks for using Bacula :-)

Best regards,

Kern

=============  Performance Note ==================

Some of you have encountered performance problems with your
database (mainly with MySQL) with Bacula version 5.0.0.  This is
mainly because we've changed the SQL query used for restore,
accurate jobs and base jobs.  We have extensively tested this
change, and though it should be a little bit slower than the previous
versions, on a well configured database it should run
extremely well.

We strongly recommend to avoid the temptation to add new indexes.
In general, these will cause very significant performance
problems in other areas.  A better approch is to carefully check
that all your MySQL memory configuation parameters are are
suitable for the size of your installation.  If you backup
millions of files, you need to adapt the database memory
configuration parameters concerning sorting, joining and global
memory.  By default, sort and join parameters are very small
(sometimes 8Kb), and having sufficient memory specified by those
parameters is extremely important to run fast.

If adjusting your MySQL memory configuration values does not
solve your problem, you can also consider switching to
PostgreSQL, which performs much better with Bacula on big
installations (many millions of files per Job).  However for
large installations, you will also need to adjust the default
PostgreSQL memory configuration parameters.

               Release Notes for Bacula 5.0.1

  Bacula code: Total files = 1,081 Total lines = 217,272 (Using SLOCCount)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Allow Duplicate Jobs directive has been significantly
reworked, and the default value has changed. See below.

Truncate On Purge has been totally rewritten. See the new
features section of the manual.

When Volume Poll Interval is set in the SD DEVICE configuration,
(default 5 mins), after a certain number of polling tries (approx
10) polling will stop and the operator will be asked to
resolve the problem.  Previously there was no limit, and an
error message could be produced at each poll attempt.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Changes since 5.0.0
-------------------
- We believe that we have resolved most of the problems
  concerning canceled or failed jobs being "stuck" in the
  Director.  There is one outstanding problem in the SD when
  canceling jobs that we will fix in the next major release.
  If you see jobs that seem to be stuck, in general issuing
  a cancel command in bconsole should now make them go away.

Directives:
- The default for "Allow Duplicate Jobs" has been changed from
  no to yes.  If you use this directive, please check your
  conf file, and note the next two items !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- AllowHigherDuplicates disabled. It did not work as documented
    and was confusing.
- New directive "CancelLowerLevelDuplicates" See New Features
  section in the manual.
- Truncate on Purge rewritten.  See New Features section in the manual.

Bug fixes:
1448 1466 1467 1468 1476 1481 1486 1488 1494 1497
1499 1501 1505 1509 1513

- Ensure SD asks for help when looping even if poll set. Fixes bug #1513.
- Fix three-pool regress bug
- Modify bacula.spec fixes bug #1505
- This version fixes an issue where the console window would start out
  docked. It is fixed by initiating the variables in the Pages class wi
  constructor.
- Fix make_catalog_backup.pl fails when catalog db is on other host
- Apply MacOSX installer patch from bug #1509
- Apply fix to previous fix of Copy problem. Fix proposed by reporter o
- Fix bug #1501 -t does not print errors
- Apply SQLite3 update fix from bug #1497
- Apply bashism fix for diskchanger.in script from bug #1499
- Apply rpm fix for Sci Linux from bug #1494
- Take most recent Ukranian po from bug #1448
- Probable fix for Copy/Migration bug #1476
- Fix bug #1488 -- avoid recursion and race conditions in messages.c
- Upgrade cats library also to 5.0.0
- Fix missing console page in bat
- Add bat help files to Window install
- Improve Windows upgrade to ensure old FD is shutdown
- Fix bug #1481 -- bat consumes all console file descriptors
- Backport truncate on purge from 5.1.x
- Fix bug #1486 -- bat doesn't show any errors on command-line
- Update the bsock error URL
- Correct .my.cnf umask in make_catalog_backup.pl
- Apply fix for dbcheck use by make_catalog_backup.pl
- Fix seg fault in bscan from new comment field
- Allow multiple CNs when using TLS
- Fix seg fault in SQlite driver
- Make shared libs version the same as the Bacula release version
- Remove file_index sequential check
- Fix #1466 about Bogus pruning message

For Packagers:
1.  The default query.sql file is now, except for some comments, empty.
The old file, which we no longer support (it is impossible or difficult to
make it work on every backend, and the queries are mostly contributed) can
be found in <bacula-source>/examples/sample-query.sql.  The sample file is
not installed by the Makefiles

2.  When you install the mtx-changer script, you must also install
mtx-changer.conf if it does not exist.  This new file (mtx-changer.conf) is
required for mtx-changer to work, but it is a user configurable file, so on
any update, any existing file should not be overwritten.

3.  Bat should be built on every platform that is capabable of running Qt.
However, the Qt code is changing rather quickly and is not always
compatible from version to version.  We have built and verified bat on Qt
4.3.4.  We strongly recommend that you do not build and distribute bat with
any other version of Qt unless you personally test it.  To build against Qt
4.3.4, download the depkgs-qt package from the Bacula Source Forge download
location, read the README file and follow the instructions.

If you are building for Bacula version 5.0.0, please ensure that you do not
have qmake-qt4 loaded on your system.  If you do, either remove it or
rename it before trying to build bat.  If you do not, bat will probably be
built using the shared objects on your system.  For Bacula 5.0.1 and later,
this problem (bug) does not exist.

depkgs-qt does not install Qt on your system, nor does it interfere with
you having any other version of Qt installed on your system.  Once you
build bat with depkgs-qt, it should *not* use the Qt shared objects, but
rather they will be linked into the program.  After fully installing bat
(make install), you can run "ldd bat" to see what shared objects it will
use.  If any Qt shared objects are referenced, something has gone wrong.

4.  Unless absolutely necessary, we recommend that you do not define any
special library environment variables that apply to the ./configure -- for
example: LIBDIR=/...  ./configure <your-options> is strongly discouraged.
Doing so, could potentially cause Bacula to be linked against the wrong
shared objects.

5.  The Bacula project strongly recommends that you install Bacula into a
single directory, with a few minor exceptions such as the MySQL or
PostgreSQL databases.  Preferrably this should be /opt/bacula.  The full
recommendation is:

#!/bin/sh
# Recommended configure script for Bacula
prefix=/opt/bacula
email=xxx AT yyy DOT zz
CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wall" \
  ./configure \
    --sbindir=${prefix}/bin \
    --sysconfdir=${prefix}/etc \
    --docdir=${prefix}/html \
    --htmldir=${prefix}/html \
    --with-working-dir=${prefix}/working \
    --with-pid-dir=${prefix}/working \
    --with-subsys-dir=${prefix}/working \
    --with-scriptdir=${prefix}/scripts \
    --with-plugindir=${prefix}/plugins \
    --libdir=${prefix}/lib \
    --enable-smartalloc \
    --enable-tray-monitor \
    --enable-bat \
    --with-mysql \
    --with-dump-email=${email} \
    --with-job-email=${email} \
    --with-smtp-host=localhost \
    --with-baseport=9101

Obviously, the email, and some of the minor options (mysql, postgresql,
...) can be changed to suit your distribution, but the directory names
defined above are strongly recommended, and over time the default values in
the bacula-dir.conf and bacula-sd.conf will reflect these choices.

If you have any questions about this or would like a detailed document
describing our recommendations including packaging requirements, please
send an email to the bacula-devel list.

6.  Starting with Bacula version 3.0.0 up to Bacula 5.0.0, the shared
libraries that Bacula uses by default are named xxx-1.0.0.  Starting with
Bacula 5.0.1, we are going to name the libraries using the Bacula version.
So in Bacula 5.0.1, the libraries will be named xxx-5.0.1.  With future
versions, the last digit may or may not change when we distribute patch
updates (i.e.  the last digit of the version changes).  This will depend on
whether or not we have changed something in the library.  Hopefully this
new procedure will resolve some of the incompatibility problems between
different versions of the shared objects.

7.  The default build option for bconsole is conio (my own little console
routines).  I did this because some years ago, readline was very difficult
to maintain -- it and where it was found seemed to change on every release.
This generated at the time a number of support problems.  It seems to me
that since then there have been very few problems with readline.  As a
consequence, I have no problem if you want to make bconsole with readline
enabled.  It will actually give some very nice new bconsole command
completion functionality that Eric has written.  Bottom line: feel free to
use readline or not as you please.