Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula

2010-02-03 06:18:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deploying Bacula
From: FredNF <fred AT nfrance DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:55:24 +0100
Le Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:42:35 -0800,
mehma sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com> a écrit :

> A couple of more questions to ask yourself are:
> a. How fast do I want to restore the data? If you are forced to
> restore 700 GB - that MIGHT take you 24 hours - depending on your
> hardware. Is that acceptable?

The best option is: as fast as possible :)

> b.  How much of data can you afford to lose if, say, Bacula breaks
> down and your indexes are hosed and you panic and run some command
> which hurt instead of helping. Keep your volumes small and
> manageable. If one gets messed up, your loss is limited to that
> volume.

The probleme is that whit little volumes, I will have hundreds of
files. Actually, we have around 4 To of backup data. And this with no
system backups, only client datas.

> I don't know if I am a typical user, but I know a little about how to
> set up the backups and do the backups. And I know next to nothing
> about the bare metal recovery, or any console command such as
> brestore. I was there once, with a corrupted index and was scared
> stiff of running any repair command lest it mess things up more. I
> waited the backup out by starting another one and then deleted the
> old.

I'm planning to test the bare-metal recovery as with need to really
have quick restore of servers.

> I would explore the de-dup capability - NEW - for the system data
> atleast. I'd setup a test backup to see if it is a) real and
> beneficial and b) if it saves you disk space

I'm already looking at theses capabilities. As the others like copy
jobs for having a backup of my backups in another place.

> I would also explore backing up mail and workstation trash folders (a
> week or two) - also with de-duping. I would backup mail folders with
> much more frequency - like every hour because people are using
> iphones and blackberries - mobile devices - to manage email and they
> tend to read and delete mail with much greater frequency. If your
> backups are daily and a morning email is deleted by the afternoon
> before a backup hits, and the next day the user wants it back. Well,
> the backup never saw it and you have not done your job correctly.

The mails are actually backuped like others data. You delete the mail,
your fault, this is in the contract we signed my dear customer. No
problem with trash-can and so on, we only offer web space.

> But with your situation, you have a dilemma of so many servers and
> may also have an opportunity. Where/how are your servers dispersed
> geographically?

All my servers are physically in the same room. Yes, we own our
datacenter. This is the good point. :)

> Mehma

Thanks,

Fred.