Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] SOT: Better strategy for backup PostgreSQL DB

2009-12-07 21:00:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] SOT: Better strategy for backup PostgreSQL DB
From: ReynierPM <rperezm AT uci DOT cu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:56:50 -0500
Hi there:
I'm trying to establishing

I'm trying to establish the rules and guidelines to be followed by a
Data Center (DC) on topics of backup and restore information. The
software that I have proposed to perform these tasks is Bacula[1] of
course. This is already configured and backing up some services (SaS)
available on DC. However, the issue of Databases with PostgreSQL has
caused me concern and have given me the task of finding possible ways to
store information (structure & contents) of the BD.

So far I have investigated two ways of saving the contents:
1. WAL files with Point In Time Recovery (PITR) (the better but more
expensive)
2. Make DUMP of the tables from the DB

With the first I think is the best, resolve all or nearly all, as the
PostgreSQL Manual [2] and this website I found [3] said the advantages are:

- The backups not need to be consistent: you need a copy of the files of
the cluster (imagine that relates to the content of the directory where
the files are stored on the BD) and the WAL files
- A DUMP (dump) full BD is not necessary
- Incremental
- Continuous
- Point In Time Recovery: you can restore the DB to a point of time

But it also has disadvantages THE FOLLOWING:
- Additional Complexity
- The need for storage capacity
- Improved write and access the hard disk IO which may impact on the
"performance" of the server
- Works in the cluster of full BD

The second, which is not the best but it's not bad;), I resolved the
issue of saving the structure and contents of the BD but you need to
consume additional resources every time you perform a backup as it
should to dump BD all files then make copies of those files and also not
let me do PITR.

Taking into account the previously expressed what option yours would
recommend taking?

When using the first I have a little problem and I do not have enabled
the WAL files on my server so the BD file. Wal there, what would be the
best strategy to follow then? Generate "full dump of the DB so far from
that dump and start generating the file. Wal? "I find documentation
related to the issue of enabling the. Wal? What maximum amount of space
needed to be 10 for BD at the moment?

Waiting for your comments

[1] www.bacula.org
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/continuous-archiving.html