Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Rotation tape problem

2009-11-30 16:07:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Rotation tape problem
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: innop AT voila DOT fr, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:58:47 -0500
> I need some help. I have a problem with bacula-sd options for a weekly tapes
> rotation.
> I have a LTO-4 and bacula 2.4.4-1 on a debian amd64.
> Every week I change the tape by another. I have 5 tapes but one slot.
> But when I change the tape and i run a backup I have a problem. Bacula want
> the last tape and don't accept the new one. I want configure bacula for it
> load automatically the tape.
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Example :
>
> Monday to Thursday night : Tape-0001 : Backup OK
>
> Friday : I eject Tape-0001 and I insert Tape-0002
>
> Friday : I type "bconsole -> status -> storage"
> - Response --> "Device is not open"
> - Response --> "Used Volume : Tape-0001"
>
> Friday Night : Tape-0002 : Backup Error
>
> Friday Night : I type "messages"
> - Response --> Error Intput/output
>
> Friday Night : I type "bconsole -> status -> storage"
> - Response --> "Device is blocked and waits mount Tape-0001"
> - Response --> "Used Volume : Tape-0001"
>
> I restart bacula-sd
>
> I type "bconsole -> status -> storage"
> - Response --> "Device is not open"
> - Response --> "Used Volume : No used volume"
>
> And now backup with Tape-0002 it's ok ! :-S
>
> -------------------------------
>
> bacula-sd.conf :
> Device {
>  Name = PV-114
>  Media Type = LTO-4
>  Archive Device = /dev/st0
>  AutomaticMount = yes;
>  AlwaysOpen = no;
>  RemovableMedia = yes;
>  RandomAccess = no;
>  Label Media = yes;
>  Volume Poll Interval = 2 minutes;
> }

> Have you got any idea ?

This is the expected default behavior. I mean bacula will always want
to use the last volume with the Append status. Putting other volumes
in the drive that do not have this status will not force bacula to
recycle the current volume. You can set several settings in your
configuration to make bacula work the way you want.

Please post your Pool resource.

John