Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Average Load? Solaris vs. Linux

2009-11-30 15:10:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Average Load? Solaris vs. Linux
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>
To: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:07:12 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Stephen Thompson wrote:

> shows a consistent load average on Solaris of between 0-1 (occasional
> peaks above) and a consistent load average on Linux of 2-4 (occasional
> peaks above, though seldom below unless "literally" idle).
> [...]
> To say the least, this is rather disappointing as a Linux fan.
> Does anyone have an explanation or remediation for this?

Since you have the same name as me, I'll reply :)

What you are probably seeing is the fact that I believe that the load
average is not measuring the same thing on Solaris and Linux. On Linux, it
includes processes in uninterruptible sleep (eg disk I/O), and on Solaris
it does not. It is reasonable for the value to be higher on Linux. Whether
or not either method of calculation is more reasonable is of course a
different question.

Steve
Steve Thompson E-mail:  smt AT vgersoft DOT com Voyager Software LLC Web:
http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com 39 Smugglers Path VSW Support: support AT
vgersoft DOT com Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,300 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"