Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Average Load? Solaris vs. Linux

2009-11-30 14:56:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Average Load? Solaris vs. Linux
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:30:16 -0800
Hello all,

I was curious what type of load averages people were seeing on their
bacula servers...

A couple of weeks ago we converted our Solaris (5.10) to Linux (Centos
5.4) and are now seeing consistently higher loads.  Same hardware
(literally).  We monitor the load average on our server and the history
shows a consistent load average on Solaris of between 0-1 (occasional
peaks above) and a consistent load average on Linux of 2-4 (occasional
peaks above, though seldom below unless "literally" idle).

Hardware:
   2 2.8GHz AMD Opteron dual-core processors
   8Gb memory
   2Gb swap
   2 LTO-3 Drives
   1 153-slot SL500 Library

Backup Scenario:
   ~150 incremental hosts per day
   ~150 differential hosts per week
   ~5 full hosts per day (150/month)
   ---------------
   ~32Tb per month

Other details:
   280Gb spool space (max 8 concurrent jobs)
   158Gb MySQL database (12 months retention)

To say the least, this is rather disappointing as a Linux fan.

Does anyone have an explanation or remediation for this?

thanks!
Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760