Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bit to bit

2009-11-18 21:09:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bit to bit
From: Jim Barber <jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:06:18 +0800
Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> Hi buddies
>
> I have a doubt.
>
> A new client ask me if bacula do backup bit to bit or not...
>
> I don't know what exactly this mean, but whatever: bacula do this or not??
>
> Thanks

Hi.

Perhaps they were asking if Bacula can back up at the device level?
The documentation for the FileSet Resource states that if you explicitly
specify a block device such as /dev/hda1 in a FileSet then Bacula as of
version 1.28 will assume it is a raw partition to be backed up.
It also recommends that if you use this, that you specify sparse=yes
as well to only store the data in the partition, rather than the whole
partition byte for byte.

Example from the manual:

     Include {
       Options { signature=MD5; sparse=yes }