Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] MTEOM Erros

2009-11-18 16:01:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] MTEOM Erros
From: "Dupree, Craig" <cdupree AT austin.utexas DOT edu>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:57:35 -0600
The following is a message sent to the group on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 (I'm getting
this via the web since this was sent before I joined the list, and started
keeping my own copies of everything):

> Kern,
> I think I have found the cause of the MTEOM errors that I have been
> experiencing from time to time. These MTEOM errors are not caused by Bacula.
>
> In the past few months, I have rebooted my Quantum PX502 library a few
> times (once every two months or so) while a tape was mounted in the
> drive. This caused the HP (LTO-3 nFC) tape drive in the library to write
> an MTEOM marker to the mounted tape, which made it impossible for Bacula
> to write beyond that point (although reading was possible).
>
> Basically, Quantum told me to unmount the tape before I ever
> powercycle/reboot the library again.
>
> The tapes can be recovered by backing them up and reformatting them (to
> get rid of the MTEOM marker).
>
> Basically, my tapes that I thought were bad are actually recoverable.

I was wondering how I format the tape.  Was using "mt -f /dev/nst0 erase"
supposed to be used?  There was a reply to this from Kern mentioning that this
would be added to the manual as a potential gotcha, but I have searched through
them, and not found anything.  Can anyone shed the missing piece of information?

Thanks,

Craig