Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] question about multiple file pools

2009-11-16 18:54:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] question about multiple file pools
From: Jerome Alet <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:49:44 +1100
Hello,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 02:35:12PM +1100, Jerome Alet wrote:

> We have an old bacula setup with a single tape drive as part of an
> autochanger, which holds three different pools for incremental,
> differential and full backups. On restore, the correct tape is correctly
> extracted from the database then mounted from the correct pool on our
> single tape drive.
>
> I'd like to replicate such functionnality on hard disks and a newer
> release of bacula (2.4.4-1 under Debian Lenny, AMD64 architecture,
> PostgreSQL backend).
>
> During backups, all my pools and volumes are used as needed.
>
> But during restore, what happens is that only volumes configured as
> being part of the pool defined for the "RestoreFiles" job are
> automatically mounted, and bacula waits for us to manually mount the
> other volumes, which don't seem to be possible since they are file
> volumes (i.e. always 'mounted')

OK, I've fixed this particular problem by creating multiple Media Types.
This was written in the documentation, but not about this particular
subject, about multiple concurrent accesses instead.

Now what about my other question (probably an easy one, I suppose I'll
have the answer anyway in a month or two...)

> Another small question :
>
> As you can see above, I want to have very small volumes, but LOTS of
> them. When labelling them automatically, bacula only uses 4 digits, what
> will happen when it will reach 9999 ?

Could someone tell me what happens then ?

Does it automatically label the next volume as, for example,
"full-10000", or does it start over at "full-0001" and overwrite an
existing volume, or does it fail miserably because "full-0001" should
not be overwritten (if it's still full, as it will probably be) ?

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Alet - <jerome.alet AT univ-nc DOT nc> - Centre de Ressources
Informatiques