Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using bacula for local and cloud backup

2009-11-10 06:08:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using bacula for local and cloud backup
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:03:00 +0000
Hi,

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:

> wvoice wrote:
> > However, I'd like to be able to backup the backup data offsite. Right now,
> > my storage pool is on a file volume located in /data/backup/. I'm trying to
> > figure out the best way to do this. My usual mechanism is to use rsync for
> > my offsite replication. But these files are quite large now. Just backing up
> > the file will be very costly, unless I can mount it and get access to the
> > contents. Then I can copy the diffs.

I was under the impression that rsync was very smart about updating the
contents of a file.  If (for the sake of argument) you had an incremental
volume which you wrote to every night, you should be appending to the
existing file (like a tape, right?).  I would expect (perhaps naively?)
that rsync would discover that some large chunk of the file was unchanged
and mostly just transfer the newly appended data.

I've never tried though.  It would be interesting to test this.

> Isn't the quick'n'dirty solution not just to make the individual
> volume-files smaller? Say 100MB or similar. The for
> differential/incremental runs you would eventually end up only
> transferring the diffs.

That's an option alright.

As we're on the subject, has anyone considered running a bacula-sd in the
cloud and running migrate or copy jobs to get the data across?  That should
be a pretty targetted approach which transfers exactly the correct data and
allows simple (if slow) restores to be done from the cloud.   I appreciate
not every subscription service would allow you install a bacula-sd but a VM
should.  Might a subscription service offer a bacula-sd out of the box?
You could of course do this over a VPN if need be.

Would (pragmatic) security people shudder at the thought of this?

Gavin