Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude File by Date

2009-11-09 10:56:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude File by Date
From: Avi Rozen <avi.rozen AT gmail DOT com>
To: Brian Jobling <bhjfax AT eutechnyx DOT com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:53:07 +0200
Brian Jobling wrote:

> Hello
>

> Can you let me know if you are able to backup files newer than a
> certain date.
>

> For example I wish to perform a full backup, but only on files newer
> than 1^st October 2009.
>

> Thanks
>

> Brian.

You may be able to do this with an external script. I'm currently
testing such an approach for different reasons, but it may be useful in
your case too.

Define a fileset that delegates all the decisions regarding which file
to include/exclude to an external script:

FileSet {
    Name = test-fileset
    Include {
        Options {
        }
        Options {
            # Skip everything
            wild = "*"
            Exclude = yes
        }

        # generate file set at the client
        File = "\\|/path/to/fileset/generation/script/on/client/box
<script parameters>"

}

}

The script itself should include any logic you need for selecting files,
e.g.

#! /bin/bash
find / -newermt 'Oct 1 2009' | sort -r

which will find files/directories/named pipes etc. with a modification
time newer than the specified date (note that the resulting list must be
reverse sorted, to prevent directory contents from being excluded).

Caveats:
0) the script is too simple
1) this is unix specific of course (I'm considering python for a cross
platform solution)
2) the script resides at the client
3) unlike fileset modifications, script modifications will not trigger a
full backup

There may be other gotchas, but as I said, I'm still playing around with
this.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing :-)
Avi