Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] All times without time zone?

2009-11-06 10:30:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] All times without time zone?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:26:39 -0500
Andrea Conti wrote:
>> And there could arise a big problem not
>> only with job statistics but with retention times and of course with
>> planning a schedule between 2-3 am.
>>

>> Does anybody have got this problem too?
>>

> As in "jobs scheduled at 2:30 are not run when DST begins and are run
> twice when DST ends"? Yes, of course ;)
>
> I live with it, after all in my application having b0rked scheduling on
> two nights a yeas is less of an inconvenience than having jobs start at
> different times according to the current DST status (or having to change
>  the schedule twice a year).
>
> That said, it'd be nice if Bacula internally handled times in UTC (at
> least as far as job scheduling is concerned).

Most likely they are handled internally as Unix timestamps, which are
equivalent to using UTC except that they don't account for leap seconds.
That is not the problem. The time conversion functions in standard C
libraries work correctly. When the time jumps forward in the Spring from
02:00 to 03:00, there simply is no 02:30 on that day, and the day has 23
hours. When the time jumps backward in the Fall from 02:00 to 01:00, the
times between 01:00 and 02:00 happen twice that day, and the day has 25
hours. That is simply the way DST works. Times between 01:00 and 03:00
in daylight savings time zones are by definition ambiguous, so this will
not, and cannot, be "fixed".

The best solution is simply to avoid scheduling in the ambiguous time
span. Alternatively, specifying in UTC will always run the job (once) at
night, however the local time at which it runs will be different in the
Spring/Summer than in the Fall/Winter.