Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] 1 director, 2 storage devices - Am I doing this right?

2009-11-05 11:52:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] 1 director, 2 storage devices - Am I doing this right?
From: Charlie R <charlier AT cymru DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:45:46 -0600
Hi,

I'm in the works of redoing our backup setup. Originally we have 2
different sites, and each site has it's own bacula install. It kind of
looks like this.

Site 1

----------------------
| Bacula Director  | <----
| & Storage           | ----> Clients
----------------------

Site 2

----------------------
| Bacula Director  | <----
| & Storage           | ----> Clients
----------------------

In my new setup, I'm looking to make things look like this.

Bacula Director ----------> Clients ----> Storage at site 1 or 2
  ---> Storage at site 1
  ---> Storage at site 2

My real question is about compiling the storage daemons. Our storage is
just a server with a large attached  storage array that we backup to. My
configure looks like this...

./configure --prefix=/path --with-openssl --with-mysql

And I built / install it, configure the SD options to how they should
be. Then I go to start it up, I usually just launch just the storage
daemon with './etc/bacula-ctl-sd start'. Is this sufficient and correct?
Does the SD really need sql? Or is having my director with sql really
the only one I need to worry about? I've tested it and seems to work,
just don't want to run into issues down the line.

Thanks,

Charlie