Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Expiration question

2009-11-02 08:15:12
Subject: [Bacula-users] Expiration question
From: "Paul" <pb_dh AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:32:03 +0100
Hello everybody

I have two simple questions about expiration.
I use Bacula 3.02 on a CentOS 5.3 system. My backup schedule maybe looks a bit standard and is as follows: Full backup on the first sunday of the month. Expiration = 1/2 year. Every other sunday a differential backup. Expiration 40 day's and for all other day's (every mon., tue., wed., th, fr. and sat.) incremental backups with a 6 days expiration. I backup to disk.
Question one:
Everything is running smoothly if you start your first backup on the first sunday of a month but there is a problem if you don't. Why??? Suppose my first backup is on a monday. Then an incremental backup is scheduled but there is no previous backup found so the systems runs a full backup but gets the level "I". Full backup's supposed to have a rentention of 1/2 year but in this case i loose the full backup in 6 day's. Why has the first inremental backup which actually is a full backup "I" as backup level?
Question two:
I have in mind to use migration to save disk space.
After the full backup has run on the first sunday of the month i perform a migrate to move the data to an LTO2 tapedrive to save diskspace. I actually do not understand what volume expiration i should handle in the particular pool on disk. I thought it was a good thing to set the expiration of full backups back from 1/2 year to 5 days. In those 5 days i migrate the data from disk to a tape pool. That tape pool has a volume retention of a 1/2 year. Why is the full (migrated) disk backup not purged after 5 days?? It's on tape now with an expiration of 1/2 year.
Thanks a lot for your time.
Rgds, Paul