Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backing up to Disk

2009-10-22 08:36:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backing up to Disk
From: "Gabriel - IP Guys" <Gabriel AT impactteachers DOT com>
To: <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:31:14 +0100

Dear All,

I currently have 5 systems that I want to backup to my new Bacula instance. But first, I’m trying to figure out a methodology to get everything working correctly.

I have my passwords all sorted out, and my B-dir, B-sd, and B-fd all seem to like each other for now. (Amazing how three daemons on the same box can argue with each other for so long!) I do not want to use defaults, so that I can understand what is actually going on. I have my disk space ready to go. It’s a NAS device which I will mount onto a directory. My understanding at the moment, is before this can become useful, I should configure some storage via the b-sd.

I have a storage device name “FileStorage”, with a directory of “/backup”, media type name, “File”, Random access medium “yes”, removable media “no”, set to mount automatically, automatically label the media, and not to always keep open.

I wish to use the storage device for all my backups – Someone mentioned to me that I need to use pools in order to achieve this, something to do with volumes being overwritten.

What would be the benefit of using pools, instead of storage devices?

---

Kind Regards,

Mr Gabriel