Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Unknown Storage Element Loaded - scalar 50

2009-10-21 18:13:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Unknown Storage Element Loaded - scalar 50
From: "Spiros V. Ioannou" <sivann AT avarchive DOT gr>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:09:42 +0300 (EEST)
Hello,
I recently bought a Quantum Scalar50 with 76 slots and 2 LTO-4 drivs. These are
two Scalar50 units connected together, drives go to the bottom unit and the
other unit serves as extra slots.
mtx is 1.3.12, OS is CentOS 5.3

At first, mtx-changer (bacula 3.0.1) didn't recognize most the slots because 72
of them are marked as IMPORT/EXPORT except for the first 4:
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Unknown Storage Element Loaded):VolumeTag =
ACW964L4
Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Empty
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=ACW971L4
      Storage Element 3:Empty
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty
      Storage Element 6 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=ACW970L4

      Storage Element 74 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=ACW974L4

      Storage Element 75 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=ACW973L4

      Storage Element 76 IMPORT/EXPORT:Full :VolumeTag=ACW972L4

After changing the mtx-changer script to ignore the IMPORT/EXPORT I realized
that the tape doesn't keep correct track of the loaded slot:
If the slot gets loaded to a drive directly from an I/E slot (slot >4) then it
is reported as coming from a random free non-I/E slot (1-4) if an empty I/E
slot is found. If all slots 1-4 were full it is reported as "Unknown storage
element"

Issuing "label barcodes" fails because bacula thinks drive0 with the "unknown"
element is empty. I fear that if i modify mtx-changer more to trick it in
seeing the unknown element as a random "empty" slot number, something will
break in bacula.

Is there a way to make bacula keep track of tapes using just barcodes and
ignore slots?

Any more thoughts?

thank you,

Spiros Ioannou