Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and NAS

2009-10-21 12:29:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and NAS
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:04:26 -0400
John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Gabriel - IP Guys
> <Gabriel AT impactteachers DOT com> wrote:

There are multiple answers, of course, but this one is not too complicated.

1. Export a NFS share on the NAS named, say, 'backup_storage', and give
read/write access to user 'bacula' group 'disk' (or whatever user.group
Bacula SD is running as).

2. Install autofs on the machine running Bacula SD. For many
distributions, the default install of autofs allows automounting of NFS
shares under directory /net. For example, accessing
/net/nas.domain.name/backup_storage will automount the NFS share
'backup_storage' on NFS server 'nas.domain.name' as and when needed at
mountpoint /net/nas.domain.name/backup_storage.

3. Configure a DeviceType=File device in bacula-sd.conf exactly as you
would for a device using a directory on local disk storage. Use
ArchiveDevice='/net/nas.domain.name/backup_storage' to tell SD where
this device's volume files are located.

The Automated Disk Backup section of the Bacula documentation at
http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Automated_Disk_Backup.html

shows one way to use disk storage. The Bacula configuration for using an
autofs mounted NFS share is exactly the same.