Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange Plugin

2009-10-20 08:15:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange Plugin
From: "Patrick Tuite" <ptuite AT airspeed DOT ie>
To: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:11:49 +0100

James Harper wrote:

I think your explanation suffices such that I would not need an explicit
truncate option for either Differential or Incremental. I guess I was looking
at it more from an MSSQL angle, needing to run backups to truncate transaction
logs that can otherwise grow enormous on a partition. I had removed the option
for circular logging as recommended, it was on by default in SBS 2003, and so
far I have 738 x 5MB Exchange transaction logs after 20 days. Not terribly
large in terms of the disk capacity, so I guess a good strategy is, for the
Daily & Weekly backups I can just run Incremental & Differentials respectively
and when the next Full Monthly backup runs those logs will be truncated and
removed? Do that sound like the correct behaviour?

That sounds good. The plugin doesn't even support circular logging (if you have circular logging on then it is probably sufficient to just do VSS backups).

I would argue that if you don't have space for your logfiles then you need bigger disks anyway... unless you had a reasonably small database but with a very high amount of 'churn'.

I am of course in a position to, and happy to test any implementation you have
available.

I haven't written anything at this point. The actual change wouldn't be more than about 10 lines of code I think, it's the testing for correctness that takes the time (eg it's one thing to prove your code correct, but another to actually have it work :)

James

Thanks for clarifying James.  I'll run with that.

 Patrick Tuite

 Network Operations Centre

 support AT airspeed DOT ie

Airspeed Telecom