Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Volumes

2009-10-15 08:34:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Volumes
From: Pedro Bordin Hoffmann <pedro.hoffmann AT raidbr.com DOT br>
To: terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:30:33 -0300
Thanks for all your help.
I think Im understanding a little more of bacula :P

im in my 3 tape, and is asking me this:

Device "Fita" (/dev/st0) is not open.
    Device is BLOCKED waiting to create a volume for:
       Pool:        FullBackupsTapePool
       Media type:  Tape

What is that?

Thanks

2009/10/14 terryc <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
Pedro Bordin Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello!
> Im doing some backup that required 2, 3 tapes.. so my question is..
> The label of first tape is monday. and when I put a second tape.. should I
> name it like monday-2  ? or something else? Or Monday again?

Yes, you can label the second tape monday-2 or similar

> When will I make a second time this backup, should I need to label the tape
> again? Or just put the tape when the other fills up?

Once you label the tapes, they retain that label "forever" in baculas view.

Bacula is different from other backup programs. It keeps track of the
tapes and their contents (until record expiry dates are met) and runs
things from the tape it decideds it wants (oldest expired).

If you are accustomed to a GFS backup system, then you need to set up a
seperate pool for each level. If you are one of those places that
backups up stuff on monday to a specific set of tapes on monday, then
you need a pool of tapes for such an activity.(you also need to carefuly
set expiry dates so those tapes are available when next needed (say five
days for a week or 12 days for a fortnight).

If you want to post to the list an outline of your backup policy, then
I'm sure people will give you some guidance/suggestions.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}}}}
Bicycles, Appropriate Technology, Natural Environment, Welding