Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Confusion in setting up Bacula to Windows Clients

2009-10-08 15:06:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Confusion in setting up Bacula to Windows Clients
From: Marek Simon <marek.simon AT trustica DOT cz>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 21:01:29 +0200
My experience is that the Director name must match, the password must
match and fd name doesn't need to match, maybe in some lastest version
must match too.

And to the bacula passwords: in my bacula I always generate a long
random password (fifty chars of filth) and write it to both configs
(through clipboard ofcourse). The bacula-fd is very dangerous if
somebody succeed with a "fake director" attack because director can
modify files and run any arbitrary code. The only need for the attacker
is the name of director, valid password and a "firewall hole".
If you use one password only, the attacker needs to hack one Client and
that moment he can hack any other machine.
The similar problem is the default password, which seems to be random,
but it is not, it is same for all clients of same version. I can imagine
  many admins keep it.

Marek