Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backing up/Migrating with Volumes question

2009-10-06 18:25:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backing up/Migrating with Volumes question
From: Jayson Broughton <jbroughton AT truecos DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 16:04:54 -0600
So here's one for the list!

Recently, due to file storage space, management has decided that each
client (desktop machines) will have 1 full backup done once a week.
This is more for Disaster Recovery (DR) than retrieving data from a 'oh
I lost my file) client.

Here's the layout:
*~200 clients in the building
*We figure we can split the clients geographically (East, West, etc)
into Pools that are by the Day of the week.  ex) Pool 1 = monday, pool 2
= tuesday......
*Now each pool would (yes, you guessed it!) back up on that said day.
For servers, this wouldn't be a problem, as servers don't pack up at the
end of the day and go on vacation for 2 weeks.
*I can migrate the Full backup from Disk to Tape the day before the full
backup kicks off (thus having a tape copy in case someone is actually on
vacation and their machine hose's)

Now here's my problem.

As these are clients, including a vast mix of laptops, I can set a
reschedule interval and reschedule time for a 24 hour period so that
they can attempt to back up in a 24 hour period.  But, does a migrate
job (yes I have read the install/configuration/developers manual) allow
to migrate 35 volumes (if I set 1 volume per job) into 1 tape volume?

I thought about having 35 clients backing up to 1 disk volume, but
that's around 75GB+ per volume, which would significantly increase seek
time on trying to do a restore.   I could do 35 volumes (1 volume per
job) but my main worry is that if I set volume retention on the Pool
resource to 7 days, then anyone that didn't get backed up, that didn't
migrate to tape would lose their data.  If I set it any higher than 7
days of retention then we double the space on our storage server.

Yes, I know, things would probably be easier if we had more space,
bigger drives, etc.  But I have to work with what I have available to
me.  Previously we were doing 2 week backups of pools (2 fulls, 8
incremental's), then because of space issues..we went down to 1 week
backups (1 full, 4 incremental's)..and now 1 full once a week.

If I could get this to work without overwriting the volumes, or growing
volumes, before the migration gets sent to the tape, then this would be
awesome.

~Jayson

The information in this electronic mail message and any attached files is
confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, delete this message and contact the sender immediately.  Access to
this message by anyone other than its intended recipient is unauthorized.  You
must not use or disseminate this information as it is proprietary property of
the True companies.  Communications on or through the True companies' computer
systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation and
for other lawful purposes.  Thank you.