Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Restoring Users directory in Windows 2008

2009-10-06 13:29:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Restoring Users directory in Windows 2008
From: Gary Weimer <gweimer AT eyemg DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:10:08 -0400
I was able to schedule a job to backup the State information (with a
bunch of OS files, 6.7GB on a new system) and I upgraded bacula to
V3.0.2 so that I could perform a VSS backup. I eventually got this
working and I have what appears to be a successful backup.

When I try to restore, I get lots of errors like:

06-Oct 15:23 dhcp010000080047-fd JobId 19705: Error:
/home/kern/bacula/k/src/filed/restore.c:1000 Write error on
c:/Users/smooney/Recent/: The directory is not empty.

06-Oct 15:23 dhcp010000080047-fd JobId 19705: Error:
/home/kern/bacula/k/src/filed/restore.c:1000 Write error on
c:/Users/smooney/SendTo/: The directory is not empty.

06-Oct 15:23 dhcp010000080047-fd JobId 19705: Error:
/home/kern/bacula/k/src/filed/restore.c:1000 Write error on
c:/Users/smooney/Start Menu/: The directory is not empty.

This is especially interesting since I am doing the restore on a fresh
OS install, so the user smooney does not exist before doing the restore.

Thinking this was just a problem with Windows "junctions" -- the
short-cuts that look like folders, I went ahead & did a Windows restore
of the State.

After rebooting, the applications (specifically MSSQL) seem to be
working (an improvement over the restoring the backup made without VSS),
but user settings are messed up. The short-cuts on the start-bar (Server
Manager, IE, etc.) exist with labels when I hover over them, but the
icons are the generic blank-paper, and they don't do anything. None of
the items in the Start menu work either (Properties shows no Target for
the links).

It could also be a bad backup. bacula-fd is running as the local System
account, but the backup has errors like:

06-Oct 02:23 weston-fd JobId 19696:      Cannot open
"c:/ProgramData/Application Data/Microsoft/RAC/StateData/RACREPCATALOG":
ERR=A required privilege is not held by the client.

06-Oct 02:24 weston-fd JobId 19696:      Could not open directory
"c:/Users/Default User/Start Menu": ERR=Access is denied.

Adding System to the Backup Operators group did not seem to make any
difference. It seems to get these errors every time, not intermittently
like the posts in 2008 complained about.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm having trouble finding any clues in the
documentation or on the internet. The only work-around I can think of is
to use wbadmin to dump the entire C drive and not bother backing up the
C drive with bacula; I'm setting up a test now to see if even that will
help.

Running Bacula v3.0.2
Director & Storage Daemon running on RedHat 5 server.
File Daemon running on Windows 2008 Server Standard running in a VMWare
virtual machine (Running on a RedHat 5 host).

-Gary