Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula performance so slow ???

2009-10-05 11:34:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula performance so slow ???
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Klaus Troeger <klaus AT linuxstar DOT de>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:30:36 -0400
> Physical drive performance is 28sec for 1 Gigabyte, so ~35MB/sec
>
> [root@denbvsbcks1 disk1]# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024
> count=1000000
> 1000000+0 records in
> 1000000+0 records out
> 1024000000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 79.907 s, 12.8 MB/s

I am confused. This looks horribly slow. I would expect over 200 MB /s
for raid 5 writing. Over 90MB /s for a single SATA2 drive.

> [root@denbvsbcks1 disk1]# date;tar cvf /dev/nst0 swapfile ;date
> Fri Oct  2 06:00:22 CEST 2009
> swapfile
> Fri Oct  2 06:00:50 CEST 2009

Its no good to test an LTO drive with a file full of zeros. Actually
with this file you should get > 60 MB /s with LTO2 tapes because zeros
will compress down to almost nothing.

> So, it's not the physical hardware, it has to be Bacula itself.

I must be misreading you but this looks like your hardware / os is
performing very badly or you are using the slowest hardware you could
find.

John