Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Encryption Not working as it should be????

2009-10-02 05:12:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Encryption Not working as it should be????
From: sub_woofer <tqzelijah AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 02:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all

I am using bacula to backup the contents of my server onto a tape and using
data encyrption.

Previously, the encryption was working fine and you wouldnt be able to
restore files from the tape without the decryption keys. However, I stopped
encrypting the tapes for a while whilst doing some testing and now when
encrypting the data (although the backup says 'Storage Encryption: yes' in
the log), I can restore the files from the tape even though i delete the
keypair and master key from where they should be located on the server.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or forgotten to do???

Further Information:-

Bacula version:-Bacula 2.4.4

In the bacula-fd.conf files I have the following lines for data encryption:-

#added for data encryption
PKI Signatures = Yes
PKI Encryption = Yes
PKI Keypair ="/home/private/ppkey.pem" #Public and private key
PKI Master Key ="/home/private/master.cert" #Only public key

What I found:-

If you comment out the above lines in the config file, restart bacula,
delete the keys from the location specified above and restore "encrypted"
tape (backed up when encryption was enabled) everything gets restored (when
it shouldnt).

If I have the above lines uncommented and delete the keys from the location
specified above then the file daemon wont obviously start.Delete/move the
keys after restarting bacula files get restored!

Previously however, when I changed the keys/deleted the keys and tried to
restore from an encrypted tape all was working fine i.e. I would get a error
complaining about the decryption keys and wouldnt be able to restore the
contents of the tape.

So I am confused as to what is going on. In the log it does say 'Storage
Encryption: yes' for the backup job that I am trying to restore...

HELP??? Any advice will be v much appreciated!