Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Exchange Server 2007

2009-09-29 11:27:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Exchange Server 2007
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:24:26 -0700
Silver Salonen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2009 16:29:32 Graham Keeling wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 02:46:40PM +0200, Torsten Maus wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently installing and trying to backup a Exchange Server 2007,
>>> (OS: Windows 2003 Server).
>>>
>> I've tried it on Windows 2008 Server + Exchange 2007, and I've tried it on
>> Windows 2003 Server + Exchange 2003.
>>
>> I've not tried it with Windows 2003 Server + Exchange 2007.
>> (more below...)
>>

>>> I installed the bacula fd (Version 3.0.2). I uncomment the
>>> plugin line in the configuration file, I also look in to the directory (
>>> C:/Program Files (x86)/Bacula/fdplugins/) their I find the .dll file
>>> which was named, exchange-fd.dll .
>>>
>>> ( Hopefully so far so good).
>>>
>>> I configured the client and job in backup, than I specified the fileset
>>> which looks like this:
>>>

>>> FileSet {
>>>    Name = "exchange"
>>>    Enable VSS = no
>>>    Include {
>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox
>>>       Plugin = "exchange:@EXCHANGE/Microsoft Information Store"
>>>
>>>    }
>>>

>>>    Exclude {
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E00.chk
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E00.log
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E000000F.log
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E0000010.log
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E0000011.log
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/E00tmp.log
>>>

>>>       File = C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First
>>> Storage Group/Mailbox/priv1.edb
>>>

>>>    }
>>>

>>> }
>>>

>>> I swichted off VSS because I red in an other mail comment on the list,
>>> that VSS should be disabled, or at least it makes it easier to identify
>>> whether the exchange plugin is working or not.
>>>
>>> So but if I run the job the plugin does nothing, because in the report
>>> E-Mails I red:
>>>
>>> 29-Sep 13:45 exchange-fd JobId 19648:      Cannot open "C:/Program
>>> Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/Mailbox/First Storage Group/Mailbox
>>> Database.edb": ERR=The process cannot access the file because it is being
>>> used by another process.
>>>
>>> I do not know what I did wrong, or where is my mistake, helpfully you can
>>> help me because I am quite frustrated.
>>>
>> This is what the fileset that I've been using looks like:
>>
>> FileSet {
>>   Name = "Windows Exchange Server data"
>>   Ignore FileSet Changes = yes
>>   Include {
>>     Options {
>>       signature = MD5
>>       compression = GZIP9
> [...]
It could be caused by any number of things. One possible culprit is
antivirus software. Generally, you would exclude the Exchange database
directory from antivirus scanning - instead, your antivirus program
would plug into Exchange, and scan the individual emails. Otherwise, if
you have a single infected email, you may end up quarantining or
corrupting the whole database.

In Bacula, you would generally restore to a different directory that may
be subject to antivirus scanning. That may prevent the FD from writing
some files to the directory.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.