Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: maximum concurrent job not functioning as expected

2009-09-29 09:25:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: maximum concurrent job not functioning as expected
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Free BSD <freebsd AT vfemail DOT net>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:23:34 -0400
> Does it mean that even though i have two separate NAS defined in the
> bacula-sd.conf -- but through one SD, there will be only one job running at
> any given time? If so, should I be running multiple SDs on the same box to
> have concurrent jobs? My initial understanding was that since they are on
> independent pools (I have defined different for each of the jobs, and they
> are saving on different volumes as well), they should run as concurrent jobs
> even though they are going to the same physical drive (but different files).
> I guess I'm a little lost here, and any support/suggestion is highly
> welcome.

I better stop using SD and spell it out, I think I caused confusion with that.

Each storage device can be thought as a single tape drive and thus it
can load only 1 volume (and thus pool) at a time. So if you have 2
storage devices you and all your jobs are on different pools you can
at most run 2 jobs at a time. I say at most because you would either
have to use the virtual disk autochanger (google for that) or have
your jobs specify which storage device to use. If 2 jobs want the same
storage device but have different pools the second job will have to
wait.

What I was trying to say in the other posts is for file storage you
can add as many storage devices as you want and have them point to the
same exact physical storage (folder / mount point) so in this case you
can have more than 1 pool loaded per physical storage location. The
best way to handle which jobs go to what storage is to use the virtual
disk changer as I mentioned above.

John