Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: File Encryption Performance, Security

2009-09-24 11:32:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: File Encryption Performance, Security
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:26:20 +0200
Hello,

>a huge amount of cycles are expended RSA signing the per-file digest.
>Decreasing my key size from 2048 bits to 1024 bits thus increased performance,
>significantly.

I did not delve so deep into the logic of bacula, but did you think of
encrypting the digest with the session key that encrypts the rest of
the data? Then it would not be necessary to RSA-Sign it. Would there
be any problem with such a solution that should probably be faster.

I think that when using public key encryption, there will be a session
key generated. And this session key - in my opinion - should be used
for every later encryption task. So there could be an option whether
one wants to RSA sign the digest or encrypt the digest. Is there a
possibility to make the described configurable in bacula?

If I am wrong somewhere or this is not possible due to some reasons,
please correct me.

Best Regards,
Mathias