Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] allways full even if incremental

2009-09-09 19:27:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] allways full even if incremental
From: Cedric Tefft <logicloop AT gmail DOT com>
To: Troy Daniels <troy.daniels AT itouch.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 16:20:25 -0700
Troy Daniels wrote:
> Is it possible the files where created with a mtime in the future?
>
>  From memory, Bacula uses the mtime of the files to determine if they
> have changed since the last backup ran.
>
> If they have a mtime in the future they get backed up every time.
>
> If so, using 'touch' on all the files to reset their mtime should stop
> the behaviour I believe.

Actually bacula uses ctime by default, not mtime.

According to the documentation for File Set options  (
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/install/install/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION00670000000000000000

), if you set keepatime=yes WITHOUT also setting mtimeonly=yes, bacula
will back up every file every time, even for incrementals.  HOWEVER if
the OP is literally using one file set definition for multiple hosts,
then he should expect to see this behavior on all of those hosts, not
just the one.

One possibility which occurs to me is that there may be some kind of
time synchronization problem between the director and the client.  I
suspect the problem as described could be a result of the client's clock
being too far ahead of the director's.  I would suggest verifying the
client and director's clocks more or less agree.  This may be a
non-obvious issue if the client and director are in different time zones
-- or, more to the point, if one of them is in the wrong timezone.

- Cedric