Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup challenge :-)

2009-09-01 10:33:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup challenge :-)
From: ict AT panterra DOT nl
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:50:21 +0200
Dear Bacula users,

I am looking for a backup solution for our company and found bacula on the net.
We use a linux (centos 4.4) server running samba to serve our domain and
windows clients.
At the moment I have an Iscsi network storage of 4 TB and use the rsync
commands (in a neat script) to create a backup of the drive.
This script excludes the samba Recycle bins.
since we are growing out of our current data store :-o I would like to buy an
13 TB (raid 6 + hotspare) sata das unit. However using my current script would
need me to have  8 x 13 x 1TB = 104 backup disks :-o, this ofcourse is not an
option. my idea would be a full backup on monday and a incremental every day to
a single 1TB or 2TB drive.

I would like to have a backup scheme of -Monday -Tuesday -Wednesday -Thursday
Friday1 and Friday2 or so, with minimal amount of external disk to swap.
It would also be important that the data can be stored in a fire safe.

Can bacula provide me this system, and would this be a good solution ?
Or does bacula provides another solution better for this problem?

key features of system:
maximum storage of 13 TB.
maximum of 500 Gb changing on a day (exept of some new projects rarely and not
more than 1 TB)
1 weekly full backup other incremental on smaller disks
external (firesafe) copy
prefferably on a harddisk(usb) (due to the size/prize of tape and/or tape robot)
expandable over couple of years.

Some good advise wanted

Regards Daniel

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.

PanTerra Geoconsultants B.V.
Weversbaan 1-3, Leiderdorp
The Netherlands

Phone:  +31 (0) 71 581 3505
Fax:    +31 (0) 71 301 0802
Website:        <http://www.panterra.nl/>
eMail:  d.sierat AT panterra DOT nl ict AT panterra DOT nl