Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] ACL Support = yes gives acl_get_file error on file errors

2009-08-30 00:59:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] ACL Support = yes gives acl_get_file error on file errors
From: John Jorgensen <jorgnsn AT lcd.uregina DOT ca>
To: <adam.cecile AT linbox DOT com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:29:18 -0600

    adam.cecile> Hello, I just upgraded to bacula 3.0.2 and I'm
    adam.cecile> seeing strange messages when backing up an OSX
    adam.cecile> computer.  The log is full of "acl_get_file
    adam.cecile> error on file", see below.

Check if the files for which the ACL errors are reported are
dangling symbolic links, that is, a symbolic link where the file
linked to no longer exists.

We have some Solaris machines which contain a number of dangling
symlinks, and they result in errors similar to those you report
(though from the path names, I'd guess your system is running
MacOS X).  I speculate that Bacula's file daemon tries to read the
ACL information from the linked-to file, then logs an error when
that attempt fails.

I've thought about patching the bacula's acl.c to not log such
errors for dangling symlinks, but so far have just lived with the
extra messages.